The MAK Center for Art and Architecture is currently seeking candidates for the following positions:
- 2021 Getty Marrow Programs Intern (Full-Time, June – August 2021)
- Program Assistants (Part-Time, Continuous)
Scroll down for more information.
2021 Getty Marrow Programs Intern
The Getty Marrow Programs Intern will assist the MAK Center Director, Curatorial Coordinator, and Programs Manager with the production of 2021 online and in-person summer programs, alongside conceptualization and planning for future exhibitions. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, in-person events and exhibitions are dependent on current safety precautions; the Intern should be prepared to work remotely on daily tasks and digital programming.
The Intern will be involved in all aspects of MAK Center projects, from research to visitor services to exhibition production. The Intern will gain curatorial experience through the direct coordination of MAK Center’s principal summer exhibition Autonomous Design (May-September 2021), Vincent Fecteau and Florian Pumhösl (Fall 2021), and Garage Exchange in collaboration with the LACMA Art + Technology Lab.
- Assist with the MAK Center’s exhibitions calendar and artist and architect-in-residence program
- Office administrative duties such as greeting visitors, answering the phone, checking voicemail, seeing to mailings, website maintenance, calendar management, and general correspondence.
- Assist with the realization of exhibitions at the Schindler House, Mackey Apartments, and the Fitzpatrick-Leland House — schedule preparators, produce condition reports/ exhibition-related didactic material, and other project-specific tasks.
- Assist with MAK Center communications, including newsletter, social media, and press outreach
- Assist with the realization of lectures, events, and fundraising activities.
- Work with press consultant to plan for and carry out marketing strategies, promote MAK Center programs, prepare and mail press materials to publicity resources, produce content and attend to various social media profiles.
- On a daily basis, open up the Schindler House (835 N. Kings Road, West Hollywood) to the public, monitor exhibitions, bookstore sales, and management, interact with visitors and work with the staff to ensure the house is in a presentable state.
Internships provide stipends of $6,000 for a ten-week summer internship at the MAK Center for Art and Architecture. The internships are full-time, beginning June 14, 2021, and ending August 20, 2021. Health insurance, housing, and transportation are not provided. For more information about the Getty Marrow Internship Program, please visit the link here.
Eligibility and How To Apply:
The Getty Marrow internships are intended for outstanding students who are members of groups underrepresented in museums and visual arts organizations, including but not limited to individuals of African American, Asian, Latinx/Hispanic, Native American, and Pacific Islander descent.
Eligibility for the internships is limited to currently enrolled undergraduates (bachelor’s degree program, associate’s degree program, or a vocational or technical program below the baccalaureate level) who reside in or attend college in Los Angeles County.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to Sage Roebuck at [email protected] by 5pm PDT on April 30th, 2021.
Programs Assistant (Part-Time)
The MAK Center for Art and Architecture is seeking enthusiastic and independent part-time Program Assistants. The part-time staff position will work directly with the Director and team members Financial Manager, Program Manager, and Curatorial Coordinator in support of the MAK Center’s exhibitions and programs, visitor services, communications, and development work. Program Assistants will be involved in all aspects of the Center’s work, from visitor engagement and services to membership support, to communications and outreach.
The ideal candidate is self-initiated, highly organized, and works well within a small team. They should have familiarity with the culture and history of the MAK Center for Art and Architecture and be able to work independently on a timeline.
This is a part-time, non-exempt staff position in support of the MAK Center for Art and Architecture exhibitions, programs, and visitor operations.
- Seeking to fulfill two part-time positions by June 1, 2021
- Approximately 10-15 hours per week
- Hourly rate $18/hour
- This position will be primarily in-person at the Schindler House (pending COVID-19 regulations), with occasional work dates at Fitzpatrick-Leland House or Mackey Apartments.
- Exhibitions, Programs, and Residencies: The Program Assistant will support the Director, Program Manager, and Curators to realize a calendar of exhibitions, events, and residencies at the Schindler House, Mackey Apartments, and, on occasion, Fitzpatrick-Leland House, on an as-needed basis.
- Visitor Services: The Program Assistant will assist with visitor engagement and services, including duties such as admissions, gallery attendance, responding to visitor requests and inquiries, answering emails and phone calls, checking the general voicemail for messages, and updating the calendar. Additionally, the Program Assistant will be responsible for opening the Schindler House during specific workdays (one weekend), and ensuring that it is in a presentable state.
- Development: The Program Assistant will assist the Director with MAK Center with specific development projects, including MAK Games, MAK Tours, and the upcoming 99 Days Benefit Program, as well as ongoing assistance and support for the Patrons & Sponsors program, Membership tracking, outreach, and fulfillment.
- Communications: The Program Assistant will work closely with the Director and Curatorial Coordinator in the coordination of all weekly communications work, including drafting, editing, and formatting newsletters; content production for social media; editing of exhibitions and program language; and general outreach as required.
The position of Program Assistant is part-time hourly employment at a maximum of 15 hours per week with some hours required in the case of evening and weekend programs when further assistance is needed.
Remuneration will be at the rate of $18.00 per hour on an hourly basis.
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume or CV to [email protected], with the subject line “2021 Program Assistant Position”